Brooklyn Car Accident Lawyer
Helping Injured Victims in Brooklyn, NY
Car accidents are a common occurrence in Brooklyn. In fact, the New York State Department of Health reports that car accidents are the leading cause of injury-related death in the state. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
At Sutton & Smyth, LLP, we are committed to helping injured victims and their families fight for the justice they are owed. Our Brooklyn car accident attorneys have a proven track record of success in handling all types of auto accident claims, including those involving serious injuries and wrongful death. We are prepared to fight for you.
New York Car Accident Laws
New York follows a no-fault system. This means that your own insurance company typically covers your medical expenses and other financial losses, regardless of who caused the accident.
While the no-fault system is the general rule, there is a "serious injury threshold" that allows individuals to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party. This threshold involves meeting certain criteria for serious injuries, such as fractures, significant disfigurement, or permanent loss of use of a body organ, member, function, or system.
Additionally, New York follows a comparative negligence system. This means that even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you can still recover damages. However, your compensation may be reduced based on your percentage of fault.
There is a limited time frame, known as the statute of limitations, within which you must file a personal injury lawsuit after a car accident. In New York, this time frame is generally three years from the date of the accident.
Lastly, you are required to report a car accident to the police if there are injuries, deaths, or property damage exceeding a certain amount. Failure to report may result in legal consequences.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can happen for a variety of reasons. In some cases, more than one factor may contribute to the accident. Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Brooklyn include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents in the United States. Examples of distracted driving include texting, talking on the phone, eating, drinking, talking to passengers, grooming, using a navigation system, and adjusting the radio or other controls.
- Drunk driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal and extremely dangerous. Drunk drivers are more likely to cause serious and fatal car accidents.
- Drowsy driving: Fatigued driving is a major problem in the United States. Falling asleep at the wheel can have deadly consequences.
- Speeding: Speeding is a leading cause of car accidents in the United States. Speeding drivers are more likely to lose control of their vehicles and have longer stopping distances.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving behaviors, such as tailgating, changing lanes without signaling, and running red lights, can cause serious and fatal collisions.
- Poor weather conditions: Rain, snow, ice, fog, and other poor weather conditions can make it more difficult for drivers to see the road and other vehicles, slow down, and stop.
- Poor road conditions: Potholes, uneven pavement, and other poor road conditions can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles and crash.
- Vehicle defects: Defective vehicles and vehicle parts, such as tires, brakes, and steering systems, can cause serious and fatal car accidents.
- Traffic violations: Drivers who fail to follow traffic laws, such as speeding, running red lights, and making illegal turns, are more likely to cause crashes.
Common Injuries in Brooklyn Car Accidents
Car accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, from minor to severe. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent, which is why it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible after a car accident. Common injuries in Brooklyn car accidents include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a common injury in rear-end car accidents. It occurs when the head is suddenly jerked forward and then backward, causing the neck to move beyond its normal range of motion. Symptoms of whiplash include neck pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are a common injury in car accidents. The force of the impact can cause bones to break or shatter.
- Head injuries: Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), are a common injury in car accidents. Even a minor bump or blow to the head can cause a TBI. Symptoms of a TBI include headache, dizziness, confusion, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, and changes in mood or behavior.
- Back injuries: The force of the impact in a car accident can cause serious damage to the back, including herniated discs and spinal cord injuries.
- Cuts and lacerations: Broken glass and other debris can cause cuts and lacerations in a car accident.
- Burns: Car accidents can cause fires and explosions, which can result in serious burns.
- Internal injuries: The force of the impact in a car accident can cause internal injuries, including internal bleeding and damage to organs.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Car accidents can be extremely traumatic. It is not uncommon for car accident victims to develop PTSD, which can cause flashbacks, nightmares, and severe anxiety.
Why Choose Sutton & Smyth, LLP?
After a car accident, you may be contacted by the at-fault party’s insurance company and asked to provide a recorded statement. You may also be offered a settlement. It is important to remember that the insurance company is not on your side. Their goal is to pay you as little as possible for your claim. That is why it is important to consult with an experienced car accident attorney before accepting a settlement or providing a recorded statement.
At Sutton & Smyth, LLP, we can help you understand your rights and guide you through the process of filing a claim. Our Brooklyn car accident lawyers will conduct a thorough investigation, gather all available evidence, and build a strong case on your behalf. We will also handle all negotiations with the insurance company and fight for you in court, if necessary.
“Highly recommend! Thank you!”“Daniel was very knowledgeable, super attentive, and quick to inform me throughout the entire process.”- Samantha S.
“I would highly recommend this law firm.”“He continuously updated me throughout the entire process and answered all my questions.”- A. L.
“Thank you so much for listening to us when no one else would.”“Leigh Sutton & Daniel Smyth made sure that his voice was heard and he was compensated to the max!”- Mari K.
“I always felt like I was in great hands.”“My experience working with Dan was working with someone transparent, helpful, and consistent, and I'm really happy I met him when I did.”- Erin R.
“Obtained better than expected results on all cases referred...”“I am an attorney that has referred a number of sensitive cases to the attorneys at Sutton & Smyth, LLP.”- Michael L.
“Daniel made me feel at ease throughout my entire process.”“He is very knowledgeable, super attentive, and quick to inform and respond.”- Catherine M.
“This the law firm for you!”“Very good at his job and I'm beyond grateful and satisfied with the job he's done.”- Dominique McCloud
“I would absolutely recommend them!”“Extremely helpful counsel during a stressful time in my life!”- Kelly P.
$1.7 Million Property Damage Due to Fire
$775K Motorcycle Accident
$750K Ceiling Collapse in Rental Apartment
$585K Bicycle Accident Involving Taxi
$485K Sidewalk Trip & Fall