Brooklyn Truck Accident Lawyers
Injured in a Truck Accident in Brooklyn, NY?
Truck accidents are some of the most devastating and deadly types of motor vehicle accidents. The sheer size and weight of a commercial truck can cause catastrophic damage to smaller passenger vehicles and their occupants. If you or someone you love was involved in a truck accident in Brooklyn, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
At Sutton & Smyth, LLP, we understand the unique challenges faced by truck accident victims and their families. Our Brooklyn truck accident attorneys are prepared to maximize the award or settlement you deserve. Do not hesitate to let our firm protect your rights and best interests from start to finish.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
Truck accidents can be caused by a variety of factors. In many cases, multiple factors contribute to the cause of a truck accident. Our Brooklyn truck accident lawyers can help you determine the cause of your accident and who is liable for your damages.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver error/negligence: Truck driver negligence is a leading cause of truck accidents. This includes all forms of driver error, such as speeding, tailgating, failing to yield the right of way, running red lights, and more. It also includes driver negligence, such as distracted driving, drowsy driving, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Trucking company negligence: Trucking companies are responsible for hiring qualified drivers, ensuring their drivers are properly trained, and ensuring their drivers are in compliance with all state and federal trucking regulations. When trucking companies fail in these duties, they can be held liable for resulting accidents and injuries.
- Defective truck parts: Sometimes, truck accidents are caused by defective truck parts. This could include defective brakes, tires, steering systems, or other components. In such cases, the manufacturer of the defective part can be held strictly liable for resulting accidents and injuries.
- Improperly loaded cargo: When cargo is not properly loaded, it can shift during transit, causing the truck to become unbalanced and difficult to control. This can lead to a serious accident.
- Poor road conditions: Poorly designed or maintained roads can contribute to truck accidents. In such cases, the government entity responsible for the road’s design or maintenance can be held liable for resulting accidents and injuries.
How to Prove Negligence in a Truck Accident Case
To recover compensation in a truck accident case, you will need to prove that the truck driver, trucking company, or another party was negligent and that this negligence caused or contributed to the accident. Our Brooklyn truck accident lawyers can help you gather the necessary evidence to prove negligence and build a strong case on your behalf.
Some of the most common types of evidence used to prove negligence in a truck accident case include:
- Police report: The police report from the accident can be an important piece of evidence. It will contain information about the accident, including the date, time, and location of the accident, the names and contact information of the parties involved, the names and contact information of any witnesses, and more.
- Truck driver logs: Truck drivers are required to keep logs of their hours of service, as well as other information about their trips. This is to ensure that truck drivers are not driving for too long without taking a break, as this can lead to drowsy driving and an increased risk of an accident. Truck driver logs can be used to determine if the truck driver was in compliance with all state and federal trucking regulations.
- Truck maintenance records: Trucking companies are required to keep records of all truck maintenance and repairs. This includes records of routine maintenance, such as oil changes and tire rotations, as well as records of any repairs made to the truck. Truck maintenance records can be used to determine if the truck was properly maintained and in good working order at the time of the accident.
- Black box data: Many commercial trucks are equipped with an electronic control module (ECM), which is often referred to as the “black box.” The black box records important data about the truck, such as its speed, how long it took the truck to come to a stop, and more. This data can be used to determine if the truck driver was speeding or otherwise driving recklessly at the time of the accident.
- Cell phone records: If the truck driver was using his or her cell phone at the time of the accident, this can be used to prove negligence. Cell phone records can be obtained and used to determine if the truck driver was using his or her cell phone at the time of the accident.
- Surveillance footage: If the truck accident occurred near a business or other location with surveillance cameras, this footage can be used to prove negligence. For example, if the truck driver ran a red light, this may have been caught on camera.
- Witness statements: If there were any witnesses to the accident, their statements can be used to prove negligence. Our Brooklyn truck accident lawyers can help you locate and interview any witnesses to the accident.
- Expert testimony: In some cases, expert testimony may be needed to prove negligence. For example, an accident reconstruction expert may be able to recreate the accident and show that the truck driver was at fault.
Why Choose Sutton & Smyth, LLP?
At Sutton & Smyth, LLP, we are committed to providing our clients with the personalized, one-on-one attention they deserve. We understand that every case is unique, and we take the time to listen to our clients’ stories, answer their questions, and address their concerns. Our Brooklyn truck accident lawyers are always available to take your call, and we can even meet with you on evenings and weekends, by appointment.
When you choose Sutton & Smyth, LLP, you get:
- Experience: Our attorneys have more than 60 years of combined legal experience. We have successfully handled thousands of cases, including many complex truck accident claims.
- Results: We have a proven track record of success, having recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We are not afraid to take on large trucking companies and their insurers, and we are prepared to fight for you.
- Personalized service: We are a small firm that is big on service. When you choose Sutton & Smyth, LLP, you will work directly with one of our experienced attorneys. We will take the time to get to know you and your case, and we will keep you informed every step of the way.
- No fees unless we win: We handle all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not owe any attorneys’ fees unless we recover compensation for you.
“Highly recommend! Thank you!”“Daniel was very knowledgeable, super attentive, and quick to inform me throughout the entire process.”- Samantha S.
“I would highly recommend this law firm.”“He continuously updated me throughout the entire process and answered all my questions.”- A. L.
“Thank you so much for listening to us when no one else would.”“Leigh Sutton & Daniel Smyth made sure that his voice was heard and he was compensated to the max!”- Mari K.
“I always felt like I was in great hands.”“My experience working with Dan was working with someone transparent, helpful, and consistent, and I'm really happy I met him when I did.”- Erin R.
“Obtained better than expected results on all cases referred...”“I am an attorney that has referred a number of sensitive cases to the attorneys at Sutton & Smyth, LLP.”- Michael L.
“Daniel made me feel at ease throughout my entire process.”“He is very knowledgeable, super attentive, and quick to inform and respond.”- Catherine M.
“This the law firm for you!”“Very good at his job and I'm beyond grateful and satisfied with the job he's done.”- Dominique McCloud
“I would absolutely recommend them!”“Extremely helpful counsel during a stressful time in my life!”- Kelly P.
$1.7 Million Property Damage Due to Fire
$775K Motorcycle Accident
$750K Ceiling Collapse in Rental Apartment
$585K Bicycle Accident Involving Taxi
$485K Sidewalk Trip & Fall